Thursday, June 24, 2010

Project Pinata

Welcome to my first Pinata Project EVER! =)

This is a pinata I made for a seven year old girl who attends after school classes at the Montessori where I volunteer. I've never made one before but I remember making paper mache for my home economics class back in high school.

I had to research the net about pinata since I didn't grow up seeing them around back in the Philippines. It was certainly nice to learn something new =) As I was reading along my research, I realized that we have something like the pinata too however we don't use paper mache as our base rather we use clay pots. Everything else is the same in terms of it's usage and that treats are placed inside as well as it's broken by hitting it with a pole / bat. This certainly drives the kids crazy and for some it's very traditional.

I often think that different countries have different cultures and traditions but somehow it's comforting to know that there are similarities too. On this note, I just remembered telling my mom sometime ago that I may be in America but there is corruption and violence too, there are cockroaches and rats too, there are beggars and homeless people too.

Anyhow, I don't want to delineate from my pinata project =)

This was made by applying layers of newspaper and paste on an inflated balloon and letting each layer dry then adding more layers. I have three layers in this pinata that I made. Instead of using white glue, I cooked what we call paste in the Philippines. What it is is basically cornstarch and water cooked over fire until you reach that spreading consistency. It's a cheaper way to go and safer for kids in case they put their hands in their mouths by accident and what not. Once the three layers are all dry, get a needle and poke the balloon to deflate. There will be a cavity where you can put your treats. I primed my pinata black just so the newspaper doesn't show up and then I decorated by shearing strips of tissue paper all over.

I rode my bicycle with my pinata going to the Montessori and you can just imagine how people were looking at me! I sure did have so much fun learning what pinata is about, how to make it and how much joy it brings to children. The kids smiles and giggles are definitely the priceless part of the whole experience! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment