Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Wonderful Family =)


This is the recent picture of my family with my nephew minus me and my brother.

How I miss everybody!!!

My nephew and my mom are wearing the hats I made not so long ago from fleece and some other scrap fabrics. It's funny how this picture seemed like it was taken on a photo booth but this was actually taken at my parents place using a webcam. Everybody just seemed so happy and nothing beats the feeling of knowing that the ones your love are happy and safe back home =)

I pulled up the last family picture taken with me and my brother four years ago when I graduated college and it's amazing how we all looked the same, almost ageless, only that we have plus family members now. Somehow looking at the pictures made me realize how time really flies and how much the role reversal has taken place over the years within my family.

I remember my dad clipping our nails every weekend when I was still a little girl. He'd have us put up our hands on the table as if a military inspection! He used to shine our school shoes every week as well and boy my shoes were always spotless. My mom on the other hand did all our laundry and so lovingly ironed our uniforms, prepared our meals, helped us with our home works and cared for us when we'd fall sick.

The role reversal kicked in sometime around when I was 7 years old when my parents started teaching us to be independent and self-sufficient by helping them with chores and what not. I didn't realize as a kid that my role grew day by day. Somehow it was like play to me and my elder sister. This is where the role play began =)

We enjoyed folding clothes by pretending we were in a department store. One played as the shopper and the other played as the cashier. We always saw the cashier fold the clothes before putting them in a bag and so folding was fun that way.

I remember much later on when there were four of us already, there would be times my mom had to run errands like pay bills and get groceries so she'd have to leave us. She locks the door and as soon as our mom's gone, we all get our tents up using our blankets, flat sheets, clothes pins and hangers. My brother had some radio controlled cars and he pretended that he's a food delivery guy. He assembled snacks in little plates, tied the plate snug up his radio controlled car and zooms it to my sister's tent. Somehow when our mom rings the door bell in a heartbeat we're able to take everything down and hide everything out of our mom's plain sight if not totally put everything away! This is so funny now that I am remembering all these! =)

Growing up had been very challenging and fun. I didn't come from a rich family but I am myself now because of how my parents raised me for most part, some I can attribute to the environment around me while I was growing up and some I think is just genetic. I understand that we are all unique in our own little and big ways but we should never let that uniqueness be a hindrance for us to achieve and better ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment