Monday, March 15, 2010

Dried Bananas =)


I dried another batch of apples today and for a change I devoted one tray for bananas. I've never had a dehydrator before so our dehydrator is my new toy and I am loving it!

I used to buy dried bananas in vacuum sealed packs from Trader Joes and I love those. They sell it for less that $2 and they are freaking tasty so today that was my motivation, make something like those dried bananas I buy at Trader Joes =) Meany but goodie!

I sliced one banana in discs and laid them out in the tray. Another banana I sliced in half and smashed them using a fork over a chopping board. After, I transferred it carefully to the screen tray using my big metal scrapper/ chopper. The scientist in me felt so alive whenever I cook and do experiments in the kitchen! I then set up my dehydrator according to instructions and wait for hours.

Tick tack... tick tack... tick tack...

I had time to finish the 3D swan I was making, call the maintenance, make some eclairs, cook dinner, take a shower, eat dinner with my husband, watch TV and talk about how our days went. Finally, seven hours later apples are ready as well as some of the bananas. I was so excited that I got some pieces of apples and bananas fresh out of the dehydrator and munched on them with my husband. Loved them! The bananas were winners! They didn't look as pretty as the ones I buy at Trader Joes but they are so tasty!

My husband and I each grabbed a half of the smashed bananas and started munching. He sat in front of his computer to read while he enjoyed his banana while I loaded the dishwasher still munching on my share and I exclaimed "Boy, dried these bananas for 7 hours and ate them in less than 5 minutes!"

That's how good they were and healthy too!

This is how we learn the virtue of PATIENCE! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment