Saturday, March 13, 2010

I am my own PRINCESS =)



I went to see The Princess and the Frog with my husband today in one of the theaters that offers week/s to month/s old movies and what can I say? It was a heartwarming movie!

My husband and I intended to see that movie last Valentine's Day but the tickets were sold out. Many of the kids were taken by their parents for some Valentine date to see that movie and so we settled for Leap Year that time.

Anyhow, this movie turned out pretty good! It brought me back to those times (younger days) when my mom would read to me my princess stories and I must say I really love princess stories!

My husband (Tim) and I were discussing the movie on the way home and he told me that he wasn't really into the magic part of it because he doesn't want kids to get in that delusion that it's real. Another issue he had with it was the " I love her, I will marry her " (after a few hours to days of knowing each other) part of the movie. I then told him that when I was a little girl those parts weren't really the ones that surfaced to/for me. It was more of the I want to be pretty, I want to be a princess, wear a gown, live in a palace and have a prince charming someday part of it. More of the first two though.

I can't say that I lived a charmed life when I was younger but I was contented somehow. I didn't have the perfect family but I was grateful to have a family who loved and supported me up until now that I have been on my own roller coaster. The princess stories gave me that fantasy and hope that someday my life will be better and that my night and shinning armor will come rescue me.

Think of all the princess stories where they all have to go through some hardships and challenges before their lives get better then they meet their prince charming. Who's to say that's not real? To some extent my life was patterned to and maybe likened to my favorite princess stories.

It hasn't been an easy road for me because just like Cinderella, I had my complexities with my family. Just like Pocahontas, I had to face cultural differences. Just like Rapunzel, I had to wait patiently in my tower for someone to rescue me. Just like Mulan, I had to be my own strong, tough and determined self to be able to help others and survive. Just like Ariel, I had to sacrifice a part of me to better others and my family. Just like Belle, I saw the beauty in a beast and trusted... Just like Snow White and Sleeping beauty who were put to sleep/ spell and awaken by their prince charming, I too needed a Tim to awaken from the very bad sleep / spell I was put into by my ex-husband.

I may not have ended up wearing grand dresses and crowns nor live in a big, majestic palace but I sure am a modern day princess who found her prince charming and lived happily ever after.

1 comment: