Monday, March 8, 2010

Fly seat, FLY!

I decided I will go on a bike ride today for 2 reasons:

1. Familiarize myself with my bicycle.
2. Map / figure out the bicycle trail.

I attempted to go this morning but as soon as I was getting my bike and myself out the door it started raining so I retreated back and did my origami instead.

Second attempt, after lunch. It was nice and sunny and I thought it was the perfect time to ride my bike but I had to do some errands first so I took care of that. Boy from chilly this morning to warm - hot this afternoon!

I rode my bike and got on the trail. What a nice bike trail we have here, I thought to myself. Mostly, I was very happy to know that I can safely ride my bike without getting honked at by the cars or needing to push the cross button and have that terrible time to get back in balance to cross the street riding my bike.

Understand this, I am 5'1 and my bike seat is quite high that I am not able to put my feet or foot on the ground while on the seat. This had been posting a challenge for me because it really scares the hell out of me! It just seems that I am not in control when I can't touch the ground =( My husband got me this bike and I like the aesthetics of it but for one thing, the seat is high!

My husband told me we can pretty much sell it and totally get another bike so I can be more comfortable but here goes the Filipina in me and I said "It's ok baby, I'll get used to it (I hope!)."

Anyway I went on the trail and had lots of fun biking around until I had to slow down because few meters away read "Trail closed." There's an outlet to an apartment complex's parking lot and I said "that's fine this is where I'll be turning to head back home". As soon as I got off the trail, I got myself in a jump I didn't expected because I didn't realize that that was a sidewalk. I basically jumped of a sidewalk on my bike and I did panic a little bit.

The next thing I know I was standing with my bike in between my legs, the seat flew (came off) and the reflector attached just below the seat broke =( I tried to get that piece of metal tube where the seat attaches and adjusts and there was no way it was coming out. I didn't have tools with me and oh it was terrible.

I reached in my backpack to see what I may use to get that piece of tube out so I can reattach my seat and boom a piece of tampon was the closest cylindrical and long thing I can grab to at least try to pull that tube out. Guess what? All the more it pushed the tube further in! That was it! I walked side by side with my bike on the way home!

Oh but that silly idea came to me. Perhaps I can ride my bike just standing on the pedal and not seating? Nah doesn't work because I have a cruiser bike and the brakes work by reverse peddling. But what worked was for me to sit on the post where the seat attaches to. It's ok for smooth parts of the trail but OMG it hurts over the bumpy parts of the trail! I did ride and walk alternately and sure did cut down the walking time. Constantly though when I thought nobody's looking I would reach back and feel my bum where that post rubs my pants to see if I tore my pants! ahhahahah!

I did get home in one piece and that's all that matters. Tim (my husband) fixed my bike after dinner and I gave him a big, tight hug and exclaimed "my hero!" =)

No comments:

Post a Comment