Friday, March 19, 2010

Montessori World

The owner of the Montessori where I volunteer emailed me a link to some very helpful and educational stuff about Montessori set up and as I was taking a shower awhile back I thought why don't we have Montessori for teenagers, adults and elderly?

Here is the link to that information regarding Montessori for those of you with kids attending such or thinking of sending their kids someday or for whatever purpose you might find it useful for =)

http://homepage.mac.com/montessoriworld/mwei/default.htm

I believe we all take big steps in our lives at a certain age/point and learning that the Montessori set up is to help prepare a child for the next step or level of education I just thought maybe it might make sense to have such kind of set up for the different life stages we all undergo where big changes usually occur?

Teenage years are the most difficult years I can remember in my life. All my hormones raging, responsibilities are starting to build up, peer pressure, confusion and vulnerability is so high, parents don't make sense and too protective, bodily changes I hardly understood that time... stress level is just too high! This is like the make or break point in our lives where every little decision and step we make matters because that predicts or well pretty much tells us our future.

I remember my parents worrying about so many things when my brother hit teenage years. There were times they thought he might be taking drugs or having sex or joining fraternities and it's drove both my parents and my brother crazy for different reasons. My parents were scared he might not finish school, get somebody pregnant, etc. (same fear they had with all the four of us). My brother on the other hand thought they were too protective and overly assuming and at some point he thought of rebelling by thinking he should just do all that our parents think so it's worth the stress and sermon he's getting.

If there was something like a Montessori for teenagers where it is set up so that teenagers are aided as to how to deal with all those crazy changes in their lives occurring all at the same time, perhaps it will make a big difference. Remember that people, young and old alike, take stress, change and responsibilities differently just like medicines have different effects on people.

Think of a Mid-life Montessori for those people entering that age where mid-life crisis kicks in... I am more than half way to that stage in my life granting it's at 50 and I really wouldn't know until I get there. All I have now are tell tales from friends and family on how they start feeling old, worthless, sick and ugly resulting to unhappiness and depression.

I am not completely sure that anybody has done studies on exploring on the other levels of Montessori learning but realizing all this now it might actually be worth the try.

I came from a third world country and the format of education there is different from the format of education here in the United States and I'm pretty sure different everywhere else. One thing I appreciate from being here in America is it's like a big Montessori all by itself. People can learn whatever they want to learn because of the abundance of resources and it's too sad that some people don't even realize that =(

There was a point in my life few years ago when I told myself perhaps I would have been a better person, more educated, skilled and equipped if we had all these resources and help back home. I love doing arts and crafts and we don't even have a craft store like you guys have here! As a result I have been confused all these times because of several reasons: 1. I didn't have the money to pursue learning or specializing in one craft/art that I wanted 2. The availability of the specific craft/art that interested me and 3. I had too much responsibilities to find time to be better at one thing. Those 3 reasons that held me back from learning more no longer exist now that I got married though! A loving, supportive and caring husband changed all these for me. I am now in my own Montessori world and I am learning so much!

I hope I was able to stir your mind into something relevant and life changing!

Never cease your mind and self from learning. Make that your challenge everyday : LEARN!

Have a wonderful weekend! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment