Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Barley Salad


I made this barley salad for dinner. I figured it's something light, healthy and delicious! Perfect for vegetarians =)

I cooked the barley in chicken stock, salt, pepper, carrots, onions, salt free poultry seasoning and bay leaves. You start by just sauteeing onions in a little olive oil, throw in your barley and cook for about 5 minutes before you put in everything else. Add water enough to cover your barley and cook until desired tenderness is achieved. You can add more vegetables of your choice. You can eat your barley as side dish to almost anything your heart desires or eat it as is. I usually cook a whole bag of barley and keep the cooked barley in the refrigerator for when I want them. Usually it will keep for about 3-5 days or freeze them when you get tired of them.

For the salad part, create it the way you picture a perfect salad to be. I tossed about a cup of cooked and cooled barley with diced cucumbers, edamames, lettuce and tomatoes and that was my perfect salad for dinner.

Try it sometime and enjoy! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment